Though we live in the mobile-dominated age, web applications are still prevalent and a preferred choice for enterprises for certain features. Progressive web apps is an example of the web app’s adaptability and capability to act like mobile apps. It is fair to mention that web applications are here to stay. As technology evolves, many advancements arrive for developing a web application with desired features.
However, for building a successful web application, you need to choose the right blend of technologies or a high-quality technology stack. The proper technology stack can increase your web application’s market reach and make the entire web app development project successful. The technology stack has a direct impact on the performance of the web application. Once you identify the right technology stack, you can hire full-stack web developers for your project.
Looking at the importance of choosing the right technology stack, here we cover every aspect related to the necessary factors and structure of various technologies. But, before digging deep into the topic, let’s find out the meaning of a technology stack.
Read more : Technology Trends At CES Asia 2019
- What is technology stack?
Technology stack is a combination of all technical components like tools, programming languages, frameworks, and technologies useful for developing customized software. When it comes to web app development, we need to think about the structure of technology stack from two aspects-
Let’s go through them one after another.
Front-end Web Development Technologies
Front-end web development enables users to see and interact with your app. Web browsers like Safari or Chrome are responsible for user interaction. As the front-end development is responsible for the user interaction, technologies used in it are known as client-side technologies.
• HTML and CSS
Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) are like the backbone of web development. HTML is useful for designing the front-end portion of web pages by defining the link between the web pages. CSS, on the other hand, makes the web pages appealing by managing the design components. Simply put, HTML makes the web page while CSS gives style to it.
Backend Web Development Technologies
The back-end web development is designed to powering the front-end while enabling users to perform specific actions. This part is not visible to users, and therefore, it is known as server-side technologies.
Backend technologies consist of programming languages, servers, and databases. Here we go through some of the important programming languages and databases.
Read more : Top 10 Mobile Technology Rules In 2019
• PHP– It is a server-side scripting language. As the most popular and preferred language, PHP empowers many websites and web applications. CakePHP and Laravel are important PHP-based frameworks for developing customized web solutions.
• Java– It is also one of the most popular and useful programming languages for developing web solutions. It is a highly scalable and flexible language to build a successful web application.
• C++– It is a highly-used programming language for competitive programming. As a backend language, it is used to build a customized web application.
• Ruby– It is a reflective, object-oriented, dynamic language. Everything available in this language is in the object form. However, procs and lambda are replacements of Ruby’s components in blocs.
• Oracle– This database treats the collection of data as a unit. Oracle enables users to store and retrieve information on any query. It is useful to manage information efficiently.
• MongoDB– It is the most popular, open-source, document-oriented NoSQL database. Here ‘No’ denotes as ‘non-relational’. MongoDB is not dependent on the table-like relational database but provides a completely different mechanism for storage and data retrieval.
• Nginx– It is an HTTP and reverse proxy server, a generic TCP/UDP proxy server, and a mail proxy server.
• Apache– It offers a high-level of abstraction for processing. It also provides a high-level scripting language Pig Latin to develop a data analysis code.
After looking at various popular technology stacks, let’s go through top factors to consider while choosing the right technology stack.
- Which Factors Should You Consider While Choosing Technology Stack?
Every web application has a different size and feature requirements. Other important factors are scalability, duration, security, and web app development cost.
Let’s discuss all the important factors for developing a web application with desired features and excellent functionality.
The size of your web app matters the most while selecting the right technology stack. The reason is simple- if your web app is large, it becomes more complex, and therefore, you need a more advanced and robust tech stack.
Small web apps– These apps consist of 1 to 3 web pages, portfolios, and other web-based solutions. Such apps do not require much time to develop.
Med-size web apps– Apps for financial sectors, online businesses, etc. fall under this category. They need a more complex and advanced technology stack than small apps.
Large web apps– Social networking apps and on-demand marketplaces are considered as large web apps. They need higher performance, scalability, and serviceability as compared to mid-sized and small web apps.